- Foundations of Truth
The Pastor’s KISS in a World of Chaos
We all know the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid. How about the Pastor’s KISS principle: Keep It Simple Saints? We could also substitute some other words for Simple and get a pastor’s perspective on Revelation 3:2-3 which reads, “Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God. Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief and you will not know at what time I will come to you.”
Today’s world is full of chaos, anarchy, and confusion, as ongoing riots painfully show in Portland, Chicago, Seattle and other cities across the country. God’s people are constantly being told what to do, what not to do, who they are to be, who they are not allowed to be, what to think, and what is considered unthinkable.
Are God’s people finding the help they need from their pastors to stand against the world and stand with Christ? Many are saying,” No”, if not with words, then in deed. More of God’s people are being caught up into the world’s pattern, simply because they are not equipped to answer and stand against what the world is throwing at them.
Consider again the instruction from Jesus Himself as He writes to the church at Sardis in Revelation 3:2-3. What is he saying to the pastor? He is saying, “Get with it!” You are not to be sleeping on the job. If He is waking you up right now, then know that your congregation needs you. Here are six words to insert into the Pastor’s KISS Principle:
1. Keep It Started Saints (2). Wake up! You may be feeling groggy and out of touch from sleeping on the job. Do your spiritual exercises and eat your spiritual food to get back in shape for the battle.
2. Keep It Strong Saints (2). Forge ahead by strengthening the clear truth you already have. As forging strengthens metal, heat up what you know is right and strengthen your people. Jesus’ body has weakened and cannot stand the test.
3. Keep It Simple Saints (3). Remember what Jesus gave you to do when He called you to lead His church and prepare it for battle. The battle is now! Get back to basics and train each one in the plan of being prepared and skilled to stand the test. His church needs to know His Word.
4. Keep It Salient Saints (3). Obey it. Do it. Say it. Live it. Teach it. Lead with passion, commitment, confidence. Be their pastor of valor, one with great courage in the face of the danger and conflict in battle.
5. Keep It Soft Saints (3). Let go. Be soft-hearted toward God. Repent of what has not been right. Recognize your fears and wrong thinking, give it to the Lord, and walk away from it. Give yourself entirely back to God.
6. Keep It Sharp Saints (3). Look out! When Christ visits your work and finds you ignoring His work for you, He will… He will come!
Foundations of Truth hereby waives all claim of copyright (economic and moral) in this work and immediately places it in the public domain; it may be used, published, edited, and distributed in any manner whatsoever without any attribution or notice to Foundations of Truth.